[Books] [Coming Soon] [Contests] [Free Stuff] [Links] [Meet Mary] [Newsletter] [New Releases] [Podcasts] [Home]

 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 Writing Wednesday: Is it really work?

A lovely discussion in Second Life with Diana Hunter and several other writers posed the question: is writing really work?

While none of us would disagree with it being work. Not only is there the initial creation, something that we have to force ourselves to do a lot of the time, but then once a story is sold there are edits, revisions, promotion, and many other things to do. So yeah, we all agree its work. The question becomes is it "work" in the sense that we trudge off to a day job doing something for a paycheck because we have to. Not because we want to.

I'm going to say no. I have a day job. I know what it's like. In fact, since I work third shift, when most of the rest of the world is sleeping, I am doing my day job and getting some writing done. I like my day job. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but I really feel like I get to help people (I work on a help desk) and it allows me to work from home, which is great during the snowy, icy, icky winter we've been having.

So while sometimes I have to force myself to put words to a screen, writing is not the "going to work" experience that I have with my day job. It's my creative outlet. It's my chance to work with a world, work with characters, and maybe, just maybe touch readers in a way my day job doesn't allow.

The muse sings to me sometimes. Other times I'm dragging my muse kicking and screaming to the keyboard. But it isn't "work." Not really. :)

Posted by Mary Winter :: 8:32 PM :: 1 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------