[Books] [Coming Soon] [Contests] [Free Stuff] [Links] [Meet Mary] [Newsletter] [New Releases] [Podcasts] [Home]

 

Monday, March 10, 2008 Marketing Monday: Code Everything You Send

So this week "Make a Difference Monday" has become "Marketing Monday." And it might do that from time to time. Today I'm talking promo items. Everything you send out needs to have a way to be tracked.

Everything.

Now this is a project I'm working on incorporating in my own "Mary Winter" promo, but I'm already doing it on the Jupiter Gardens stuff I'm sending. Trying to find out the effectiveness of your promotional efforts can be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. You know something worked. You just don't know what.

So how can you tell? You need to code everything and then to have a way for readers to send that code back to you. With my Jupiter Gardens business cards it says "email us the code on the back of this card to receive a coupon for a free gift". Then, depending on where I send the item (for example, cards sent out with my group Bookworm Bags, which I strongly recommend for everyone ! (http://www.bookwormbags.com/) get a code BWB-## where the # is a unique number. So for 50 cards sent to a BWB member they're coded BWB-1 to BWB-50. The next member gets BWB-51 to whatever, and so on.) I put a code on the back. Hopefully people will see my card, want free things, and email me the code. Then, I can track and see that I got hits from various venues. Hopefully.

For 'net promotions each email could have a code and maybe the codes are emailed back like for a scavenger hunt? Either way, you'll know that a) someone has seen your promotional effort and b) where they saw it. Of course, you still need to get them to act on it.

It does take time to write a code on the back of each business cards. I've sent out almost 500 this week alone, but like stuffing bags, or folding brochures, it's a job that can be done while watching television or in those "down moments" when the muse has taken a mini-vacation. And to me, it's time well spent.

Posted by Mary Winter :: 7:14 PM :: 1 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------